The Lancet Countdown on Health & Climate Change Webinar: Mitigation in the Healthcare Sector
The Lancet Countdown & the Yale School of Public Health Center on Climate Change and Health are hosting a webinar on the issue of "Mitigation in the Healthcare Sector" on January 14th, 2021.
Organizer: Lancet Countdown & Yale School of Public Health Center on Climate Change and Health
The Lancet Countdown: Tracking Progress on Health and Climate Change is an independent, multi-disciplinary collaboration of 35 leading academic and UN institutions, which exists to strengthen the knowledge and engagement in the relationships between public health and climate change. Its flagship project is an annual report, published in The Lancet, which presents indicators on the present day impacts and vulnerabilities of health and climate change and the global response. In particular, the Lancet Countdown focuses on the response of the health community, including mitigation in the health sector. It publishes a global indicator on this topic, reporting that the health sector is responsible for 4.6% of global emissions.
On the 1st of October, the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) committed to becoming the world’s first net zero health service, aiming for net zero direct emissions by 2040 (with an ambition to reduce emissions by 80% by 2028). It also has a net zero target of 2045 for indirect emissions and those they can influence in the supply chain (with an ambition to reduce those emissions by 80%, by 2036). Such commitments require the engagement and support of all people working in the health service – from doctors, nurses and allied health staff, to those working in administration and catering services.
This webinar, hosted by the Lancet Countdown and the Yale School of Public Health Center on Climate Change and Health, is aimed at physicians and other health professionals from the UK, the USA, and around the world. It will explore in detail the sources of emissions within the health sector, present the NHS as a case study, and provide practical advice and information on the role of the health professional in addressing the healthcare sector’s carbon footprint.
- Introduction and welcome: Dr. Renee N. Salas, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Introduction to the Lancet Countdown and key findings of the 2020 report: Dr. Alice McGushin, Programme Manager, the Lancet Countdown
- Mitigation in the healthcare sector: Dr. Matthew Eckleman, Northeastern University and Lancet Countdown author
- Healthcare waste and single use plastics: Dr. Jodi Sherman, Yale University and Lancet Countdown author
- Case Study: NHS England’s Net Zero Plan: Laura Wilkes, Deputy Director, Greener NHS
- Delivering care in a sustainable manner - practical considerations for health professionals: Miss Jennifer Isherwood, National Medical Director's Clinical Fellow
- Panel discussion: the role of the health professional in mitigation in the healthcare sector
To register for this event, please click here.