The Steering Committee is responsible for the strategic planning, further development and direction of the Hub.
The Steering Committee consists of 16 representatives who on a parity basis represent the stakeholder groups science, private sector, civil society and youth as well as think tanks, foundations, the parliament and international organizations.
In addition, the future head of the Networking Platform "Research for Global Health" and the President of the World Health Summit are members and have voting rights. Representatives of the Federal Government (including the Federal Ministry of Health, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Federal Foreign Office, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture) have joined the Steering Committee in an observer role.
The Steering Committee convenes up to three times a year to discuss current developments, set priorities, plan work and debate other related issues.
In order to enable the Hub to function quickly after its set-up, the Federal Government initially appointed an interim Steering Committee in May 2019.
The election of the Steering Committee by the members of the Hub is planned for in 2020.
The current members of the Interim Steering Committee are:
International organizations/international experts
- Prof Dr Ilona Kickbusch, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva
- Dr Bernhard Schwartländer, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Tanya Herfurth, Young Leaders for Health (Co-Chair)
- Abdullah Sönmez, Federal Representation of Medical Students in Germany e.V./ University of Bonn
- Heike Baehrens, MdB, German Bundestag
- Prof Dr Andrew Ullmann, MdB, German Bundestag
- Anja Langenbucher, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Caroline Schmutte, Wellcome Trust
- Dr Imme Scholz, German Development Institute (DIE)
- Position currently vacant, to be filled as part of the election of the official Steering Committee in 2020
- Roland Göhde, German Health Alliance (GHA)
- Felix Esser, Health Industry, BDI e.V.
- Dr Johanna Hanefeld, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
- Prof Dr Till Bärnighausen, Institute for Public Health (HIPH), University of Heidelberg (Co-Chair)
- Sid Peruvemba, German Medical Aid Organization, action medeor e.V.
- Dr Gisela Schneider, German Institute for Medical Mission (Difäm e.V.)