KAS Webinar: “The nexus of health and security: early warning, crisis management, and increased resilience in a multilateral framework”
The Konrad-Adenauer Stiftung is hosting a webinar on the topic of “The nexus of health and security: early warning, crisis management, and increased resilience in a multilateral framework”. The event will take place on 20 July, 2020 (1 PM EST / 7 PM CET).
COVID-19 hit the international community unprepared irrespective of the fact that a variety of global risk analysis as well as national security strategies cited pandemics as a likely risk scenario for forthcoming decades. To the contrary, countries had reduced for years their stockpiles of PPE and relied on global production chains for strategic equipment. The velocity of the virus’ spread around the globe dwarfed any attempts for mere national responses. Its impact on societies, health systems and economies underlined the need for comprehensive responses cross-cutting across health, economic, and security sectors.
For those affected by conflict, the pandemic exacerbates the suffering as for example the humanitarian situation in Yemen demonstrates. During the German Presidency of the Security Council in July, the nexus between health and security is therefore highlighted and its impacts systematically addressed.
However, the COVID-19 pandemic shows that a human security approach is urgently needed that strengthens early warning systems, allows for coordinated crisis management and enhances the resilience of societies.
The webinar will focus on questions such as:
• How to strengthen early warning systems for pandemics on national, regional and global level (New York and Geneva)?
• How to address the need for balancing off public health versus economic affairs and development?
• Which kind of structures and alliances are needed for coordinated crisis management? Are UN structures apt and effective enough?
• How can public trust in government policies be established and maintained within a crisis?
• How can misinformation, fake-news be mitigated?
• What are key elements for the creation of robust health systems which can enhance the resilience of societies?
• How can solidarity amongst UN Member States be enhanced and is there a need for the demonstration of global leadership by key actors?
You can find further information and the link for registration in the attached flyer and/orhere.